Washington, D.C. Gibson Bros. 1890. Very Good. Item #12892
Washington, D.C.: Gibson Bros., 1890. First Edition. Octavo; 59pp. Ex- Library of Congress copy in their red cloth with gilt lettering and Library of Congress emblem to spine. Original front paper cover was retained and bound in, but has cleanly separated along gutter and is now laid in. Boards rubbed along edges and corners, but sturdy and square. Original cover lightly chipped along fore-edge, with no loss to text. East Washington Citizens' Association attribution in pencil on original cover and at top of title page. Library of Congress perforation stamp at bottom of title page, with duplicate / surplus stamp on back free endpaper. Binding is sound and pages unmarked.
Commemorative text compiled for the Executive Committee of the East Washington Citizens' Association to celebrate the opening of the Pennsylvania Avenue Bridge, which extended the District's Pennsylvania Ave. SE across the Anacostia River. The bridge's dedication date of August 25th commemorated the anniversary of the destruction of an earlier (1805) bridge at the same location, which was burned by Captain John Creighton after the Battle of Bladensburg during the War of 1812, as one of only three land routes into the city. The Pennsylvania Avenue Bridge was eventually replaced by the current John Philip Sousa Bridge, which fully opened in 1941.
[Bryan p. 63].